Monday 26 June 2017

Cold Shadows: We Are the Many not the Few


I am torn and broken and I am fooled,
I wait here in the shadows
I am the forgotten.

You never saw me there
So I was alone.

I called out and banged aloud,
But the plastic glass was so hard
No one was passing by
So I was the forgotten.

I tried to sing renewal songs
The notes floated on the new swirling winds
They were carried far, far away,
And their stories were
Lost too.

We are all the forgotten
We are the many, not the few.
A veiled darkness descends -
A hollow emptiness – where words are meaningless,
All is bluff and bluster
And no one believes anymore.

As you recite rhymes in your clipped Oxford tongue –
Do you really understand?
Your world is protected –
It is shiny and beautiful and the birds always sing.

You are never alone
And your voice is always heard
And you never hear mine.

I maybe the forgotten
But my voice will still be strong.         


June 2017